Back pain is very common in today. Yoga helps in many ways in improving overall health with mind body approaches. Here I wish to share Three simple yoga poses to relieve lower back pain. You can learn it from a instructor and practices at home.
Three simple yoga poses to relieve lower back pain
Halasana helps to strengthen the spinal cord, improves flexibility and core muscle mobility. It stretches the spine to forward position.
- Lie flat on your back on a yoga mat by joining the legs together like Shavasana position.
- Keep the palm in touch with the ground and breathe normally
- Exhale the breath by pressing the palm on the ground and raise both legs upwards straight then try to touch the ground just behind. Chin should be pressed against chest.
- Breathe slowly and hold the position as far as possible (2-3 minutes)
- Then Return to the initial position.
Repeat the same for 3 times.
Initially you may find it hard If you are new to yoga. But slowing after regular practicing you will find comfortable.
Bhujangasana also helps to strengthen the spinal cord and stretches to backward position.
- Lie down on a yoga mat with stomach downward and relax.
- Stretch and join the legs and keep the knees touches each other
- Keep the palm on the ground i.e. mat beside the chest keeping elbow straight
- Taking a deep breathing raise the upper body from waist and keep the legs on the ground. Your hand and thigh will take the body weight in that position.
- Try to move your head to the back as much as you can in that position. However don’t stretch excessive that if you are new.
- Hold the breath in that position for some time and then exhale slowly and come back to the initial lie down position.
Repeat the same for 4-5 times. Initially start with lesser repetition.
Ardhakati chakrasana(standing side wise bend)
Ardhakati chakrasana improves sidewise mobility of the spinal cord.
- Stand firmly with legs together and hands straight. Press heels on the floor.
- While inhaling slowly stretch and raise the right arm above the head
- Then slowly exhaling, bend the trunk along with right arm to the left. The ear will touch the right upper arm and left hand should be on the left thigh. Don’t bent right hand elbow and knees.
- Hold the position to about 20-40 sec
- By inhaling slowly move the trunk to straight vertical position and right arm in up and feel the pull
- Next exhaling, bring the right arm down to the initial position.
- Do the same to the other side
Repeat the exercise two to three times for both the sides.
Do one minute a dhyanasana after doing any one of the above asana and then one min shavasana to move to the spinal cord to a normal position.
- Sit comfortably one a yoga mat by keeping legs at a close distance from each other.
- Now keep the left foot at the perineum (for male) and for female this position will be at the labia majora.
- Place the right foot over the left foot and make sure that the knee are touching the ground.
- Keep your head, body, neck and spine straight and hands on the knees.
- Close your eyes.
- Breathe deep and hold the position for few times.
- Change the position of legs and repeat.
- Lie flat on your back on a yoga mat with gap in legs.
- Keep your arm side wise along with facing palm in the upside.
- Close your eyes take deep breathing and just relax.
- Concentrate from head to feet, and relax while inhaling and exhaling
- Continue it for few minutes.
Here I am just giving the idea about the yoga that supports your back. If you wish to apply the yoga, you should learn the yoga from a teacher and later may practices at home. Also if you are suffering spinal stiffness problem, start slowly after consultation. And never forget to consult with a healthcare provider about health alignment if you have any.
Exercises helps in many ways in improving health along with managing stress. You may also like 8 surprising health benefits of exercises.